It has been a slow blogging week. I'd REALLY like to put together a comprehensive football recruiting list but I haven't had the time to put that together yet. Basketball is MUCH easier as they only have a handful of scholarship offers out there. The future of Gopher Football on the other hand has 100 scholarhip offers out there (give or take a dozen). So this is a much more daunting list. To get the blog rolling again here are a few tid bits from around Gopher Nation...
Baseball Recruting - the recent Big Ten runner ups have announced the signing of lefthanded pitcher from Phil Isaksson to a letter of intent. We stole him from the Badgers (oh wait, Title IX has left them without a baseball team). Isaksson is from Eau Claire and thus far in his Sr. season he is 6-0 with a 0.29 ERA (2 ER on the season) with 80 Ks in 47 innings. For his career Isaksson is 23-2 and was third-team all state as a junior. I'm assuming he'll pitch for the Golden Gophers but he is also batting .400 with 4 HRs this season. I don't know how high school stats translate into college level success but Isaksson seems to be pretty solid, we'll find out.
Tim Brewster Football Camps - Began this this past week. These camps seem to be more and more of a recruiting tool more than anything else. Some of Coach Brewster's top recruits were amoung the 430 kids here for the camps as well as some of the coaches of other recruits came to MN for the camps. Getting the kids here as well as getting their coaches here is an opportunity for the staff to land a handful of upper-tier talent that they are coveting. Players who were here either this week or will be here this weekend for 1-day camps include...
- DE - Will Mobley from Eden Prairie, 4-star according to Rivals.
- WR - Brandon Green from Chicago
- High School coach Art Walker who is the offensive coordinator and father of WR Deion Walker. Art was here coaching the camps, Deion was not but according to Rivals Art says they will be back for an official visit.
- QB - Matt Scott from Corona, CA.
- QB - Darron Thomas from Aldine, TX. Thomas is a 3-star QB but has offers from the likes of Miami, LSU and Nebraska.
- OLB - Anthony Lewis (Aldine, TX) - teammate of Thomas.
- RB - Jonas Gray from Michigan. Gray is a big time RB who will likely be here next weekend for an unnofficial visit.
Kyle Okposo is returing to the frozen pond for the Gophers this winter. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about hockey but this seems to be a good thing.
I hope to get out Part 2 of my 8 part series on The NEW Golden Gopher Era. Part 2 will discuss What can we define as success for the 2007 Football season. You can read part 1 HERE.