Well I took a hiatus from the Roundtables. I would post so much stuff on Mon-Wed I just didn't feel like posting any more on Thur or Fri. Anyway, I felt like it would be fun to get back on the saddle so here goes!...
Around the Oval takes the reigns as we head into Rivalry week. What's bigger?...
Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
I think that answer is obvious, as nobody cares about Mich or Ohio St. I mean really Minnesota/Wisconsin have played more than any 2 schools in all of NCAA.
1. Call me crazy, but it seems like the refs have been even worse this year than usual. I've noticed what seems like an unusal amount of questionable calls/non-calls go against the Buckeyes this season, but then, I am just a little biased, and the only referee performances I notice are the crappy ones. What have you thought of the Big Ten refs this season? Do any especially bad calls stand out to you?
Heck yes, were it not for the refs I have no doubt the gophers would be fighting for more than just the Ax this weekend. Those jerks are out to get us as part of a larger Big Ten conspiracy.
Really, I can't take my eyes off the train wreck that is our defense. I haven't noticed the refs are even involved in the game.
2. How is recruiting going for your team? Any incoming players that opponents should be concerned about for 2008, or will the cupboards be left bare? (Note: If you don't follow recruiting, please post an entertaining picture of some sort at this point.)
Can I do both?
What amazes me is that the gophers are having one of (if not THE) worst seasons in team history and they are likely going to bring in their best recruiting class
Here are 5 incoming true freshmen who I think will start immediately and be an upgrade...
- WR - Brandon Green - 4-star
- MLB - Sam Maresh - 4-star
- OLB - Spencer Reeves - 3-star
- S - Simoni Lawrence - 3-star
- CB - one of a handful commitments will start here
- QB - Marqueis Gray - 4-star, uncommitted
- DE - Willie Mobley - 4-star, instate kid, uncommitted, would start 2008
- S - Nolan Brester - 4-star, coach's son, committed to Texas, would start '08
3. The OSU-Michigan game is taken pretty seriously 'round these parts. For at least this week, the rivalry is all-consuming for just about every OSU fan I know. But let's face it, there's plenty more to hate (or at least dislike) in college football than our rivals. So, other than your team's current rival(s), what team, person, rule, concept, intangible object, etc., would you like to declare a rival, the better to focus your hatred on them/it?
I'm going to declare "forced rivalry games" as our rival! Minnesota boasts the most rival trophy games in all of college football. We have
- Paul Bunyan's Ax - Wisconsin - since 1890 (1930 for the trophy)
- Floyd of Rosedale - Iowa - since 1935
- The Little Brown Jug - Michigan - since 1903
- The Governor's Bell - Penn State - since 1993 - this one's gay
- Land Grant Trophy - Michigan State vs. Penn State - 1993 - RIVALRY?
- The Governor's Bell - Minnesota vs. Penn State - 1993 - WHY, WHY, WHY?
- Golden Boot - Arkansas vs. LSU - 1996 - you wait till 1996 to get a trophy?
- Heartland Trophy - Wisconsin vs. Iowa - 2004 - boring
- Telephone Trophy - Iowa State vs. Missouri - for not worst in Big 12 that year?
- Governor's Cup - West Virginia vs. Marshall - 2006 - not even in same conference!
Anyway, I think college football is being saturated with "rivalry games" Every game doesn't have to have a title (kind of like every Saturday doesn't need a title, ESPN). Welcome to the "We played once 47 years ago Bowl" on Saturated Saturday.
2nd biggest problem in college football? - BCS sucks!