I have taken up the monumental task of calculating the Big Ten Blogger's Big Ten Power Rankings (BTBBTPR). This should be a fun little BTB group party. The rankings listed below are mine for Week 1, I will post the compiled rankings tomorrow.
Here are the participants (for now, hopefully more will play along)...
|Big Ten Chronicle||B10|
|Black Heart Gold Pants||Iowa|
|Maize n Brew||Mich|
|MSU Sparty||Mich St|
|Lake the Posts||NU|
|Eleven Warriors||Ohio St|
|Black Shoes Diary||Penn St.|
|Off the Tracks||Pur|
Schools not represented are Wisconsin and Illinois
Gopher Nation's Power Rankings....
1. Wisconsin (2-0) - road win @Mich and beat Iowa at home. Both were double digit wins over bad teams. Regardless of quality of opponent they took care of business.
2. Michigan State (1-0) - beat Minnesota at home in a game closer than expected. Raymar Morgan was outstanding and Kalin Lucas played great off the bench. Neitzel and the frontcourt struggled but were good enough.
3. Indiana (2-0) - road win @Iowa but it was WAY too close. If Indiana is supposed to be the best in the league I expect more against the league's worst.
4. Penn State (2-0) - starting out 2-0 with both wins on the road is a great start for PSU. For team that didn't win 1 road game a year ago this is an impressive start.
5. Ohio State (2-0) - killed Illinois on the road then struggle (just a little) with Northwestern at home. This team is searching a little, it will be interesting to see what happens when the football team is done and the basketball team receives more scrutiny.
6. Minnesota (0-1) - played very tough on the road and gave Michigan State all they could handle, but a loss is a loss. The early part of their conference schedule is tough so they have to take advantage of Northwestern and Penn State this week.
7. Purdue (1-0) - 7 point home win over Michigan isn't impressive. This team is really talented but I'm not going out on a limb when I say they will be inconsistent. A win is a win, but they are penalized on my list because I'm a homer.
8. Illinois - (0-2) - Starting out 0-2 with both games at home makes things difficult for the Illini. Ohio State and Penn State are OK but those were winable games on their home floor.
9. Iowa (0-2) - played Indiana tough at home in what could have been a 30 point spread. Then was not totally embarrassed by Wisconsin on the road. Teams may want to get a hand in the face of this Johnson kid cause he looks to have a hot hand.
10. Northwestern (0-2) - lacking Big Ten talent
11. Michigan (0-2) - read Northwestern.