Here are several random notes on football and basketball recruiting. Before I get into it PJS also just happened to be talking a bit of recruiting and linked a Wisconsin Journal Sentinel article on border battle recruiting.
** Congratulations Ralph Sampson. I'm not exactly sure how the Georgia state basketball playoffs work but I think if you make it to the Regional semi-finals (final 4), you are a state finalist. So it works like this (I think). You win the quarter-final game in your Region and then you continue to play out the Regional games for seeding. Once you are in the semi's you could lose your next two games (finishing 4th in the region) and you still get to continue on to the State tournament. So today Ralph Sampson and his Northview team will play in their Regional consolation game fighting for a better seed in next week's State Tournament.
** Deveron Bostick. Bostick's SW Ill CC teams is 23-2 and ranked #4 in the NJCAA Div.1 heading into today's game. Bostick is a very intriguing player and could be a real impact player next year. Through Feb. 4 Bostick is averaging per game...
- 19.6 points
- 5.0 reb
- 3.4 assists
- 2.0 steals
- 2.5 threes made (35.6%)
from the SF position.
** Paul Carter's numbers - while we are on the subject of JUCO players coming in here are Carter's numbers through Feb. 12. Carter is the team's third leading scorer and they are 23-4 ranked #19 in the country.
- 9.7 points
- 7.6 reb
- 1.8 asts
** 5 signed, more coming? There are still rumors circulating and picking up steam that Minnesota may still sign either or even both of the following players. Assuming nobody transfers, if we add one of these players Travis Busch will go without a scholarship next season. If we add both then Jamal Abu-Shamala will have to pay his senior year tuition.
PG - Verdell Jones - one of the best remaining guards in the country and is considering Minnesota along with Tennessee and Kentucky. Landing a quality true PG would help this team out an awful lot. Nolen is a good PG who will be a great defender and should improve offensively, but after that we have nobody who can adequately run the point. His other offers indicate he would be a valuable recruit.
C - Krys Faber - 6'11" and nearly 250, Faber is a big rebounding force, to the tune of 17+ per game. Whether or not Minnesota has offered is unclear but adding another big man who can help us rebound would be nice. Faber is kind of a project as he is unpolished but his rebounding and shot blocking numbers are undeniable so whether or not he'd redshirt would also be an interesting debate. Officially I would love to sign Faber as we are going to be very thin inside and getting somebody who can block shots and rebound will help a ton. Sampson will be an athletic/scoring big man but I'd enjoy seeing a bigger and slightly more talented version of Jon Williams. Also important it should be noted that Faber plays for he Ribet Academy Fighting Frogs!
** 2009 Signing Day is less than 12 months away. After inking a top 25 recruiting class for the first time in my life, Brewster has wasted no time in getting commitments for 2009. Moses Alipate is a highly rated (4-star) QB from Bloomington (MN). Alipate is currently and will likely be the highest rated in state prospect and has already given his verbal to Minnesota.
** Official Gopher Nation wish list for 2009 recruits...
- C - DeShonte Riley - 5-star center and would be a great addition
- SF - Royce White - local top 50 player
- SG/F - Rodney Williams - local top 60 player
- SF - Ari Stewart - 5-star forward, his Wheeler team just beat up Sampson's Northview
- PG - Johnnie Lacy - Wisconsin kid, would be nice to steal a great PG
- PG - Mfon Udofia - from Georgia, we need to sign a PG in 2009
- SF - Jamil Wilson - need a F in this class as well, 4-star kid
- PG - Chris Colvin - Chicago kid offers from Iowa and Illinois
- SF - Diamond Taylor - Marq and Wis have offered this Chicago kid
- QB - Moses Alipate - signed, #57 in Rivals top 100
- DT - Chris Davenport - 5-star player, will be a tough to land over LSU, Tenn, etc.
- WR - Je'Ron Stokes - heavily recruited with Penn State his likely destination #34
- OT - Marcus Hall - Ohio native #26 according to Rivals
- LB - TyQuan Hammock - LB is a need, Hammock would be a solid addition
- DE - Randall Dent - Texas DE with offers from LSU, Tex and more
- WR - Bryce McNeal - local WR and we need to keep him around
- TE - Ra'shede Hageman - 6'5", 230 TE from Mpls
- OG - Chris Watt - offered this OG along with Ohio St, Ill, AZ and others
- OT - Josh Campion - signed, MN kid and we need some OL help with this class