September 26, 2007

Big Ten Blogger Roudtable - Part 5

Week 5 of the roundtable and a very good set of questions by Lake the Post (Northwestern blog). I know everyone eagerly anticipates my answers so I won't keep you waiting any longer...

1. Michigan turned to Russell Crowe (successfully). ND went with Regis (unsuccessfully). Imagine your team is in desperate need of a pregame pep talk (no imagination needed at NU). You can bring in anyone in the world. Who do you turn to and why?

Well, the obvious answer would be to bring in a famous alum. Tony Dungy is a worthy candidate since you know he just won the Super Bowl, Barber/Maroney could come and share why their NFL success is because of their time in Minnesota or even former gopher QB, Sandy Stephens the 1962 Rose Bowl MVP. But lets go with someone from outside the program.

I'm going with Bill Murray. I know this clip is about killing gophers but a Varmit will never quit! Varmit-Cong!



And that's all she wrote!

2. What perception about your program is perpetuated to the point where it is your pet peeve? Why does it bother you so much (no, the answer does not have to be an alliteration)?

In this case perception is pretty close to reality. We are mediocre. Our defense is terrible. We haven't been to the Rose Bowl in 45 years.

But I guess the perception that you cannot win at Minnesota annoys me. Too many professional teams here hinder the passion of the fan base, it's a hockey state, it's a basketball school, there isn't enough local talent to sustain a college program, yada, yada, yada. These are excuses and there are just as many positives here as there are negatives. The right coach CAN win at Minnesota. Is that Tim Brewster? Way too early to tell but at least he's attacking the program's challenges head on with the intent to overcome.

3. It is only week 5 of the season, but you've been asked to create your team's highlight reel for the season. You get to choose one song. What is it and why?

I'm sticking with the Caddyshack theme. This is just a short clip, the song is of course "I'm All Right" by the great Kenny Loggins!



This isn't exactly a banner year for gopher football, but things are looking bright for the future. I like what Brewster is doing, I like our young offense and I think the talent level here will be better sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think a seance to bring back Sandy Stephens would be great.